Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Final Scorecard (With Proof!)


It’s over.  300 days of workouts over 365 days.  If you count each swim, bike, run, and weightlifting session separately, I did well over 400 workouts.  That’s more than 1 per day throughout the year. 

The only thing that worked harder than me was your spam filter trying to stop my emails from reaching you.  But I beat the spam filter.  If I knew you had more than 1 email address, I blasted both.  Take that Symantec. 

Once through the filter, I tried to trick you in the first few weeks of the year.  I threatened to stop pushing the blog to you in the beginning.  I made it very clear in my first few posts that the only way to keep up with my progress was to visit my site directly or sign up for updates.  It was a desperate ploy to get you to register for Schmeis35for35.  But you didn’t blink; you called my bluff and didn’t sign up.  Well played. 

It didn’t end there.  You greatly underestimated my persistence.  You never anticipated I could have so little shame that I would just keep emailing you all year despite your obvious lack of interest.   Big mistake by you; I have no shame.

So what did all the hard work get me?

In total, I completed 22 of my 35 goals.  For a final grade, we need to turn to the scorecard I put together at the beginning of 2012 when this was just getting started…

·         < 15 out of 35 aspirations completed = F
·         15-18 = D
·         19-23 = C
·         24-26 = B
·         27-29 =  A
·         30 or higher =  Greek God

Looks like my 22 is a C…terrible.  That’s the first C of my life!  I did, however, set the Vegas over/under at the time at 21 so slightly beat that. 

When I think about how close I was to so many more goals, Greek God status was definitely within reach but wasn’t meant to be…

Anyway, throughout the year I posted evidence of every goal I achieved in various blog posts, but realize now there is no easy way to find each one. 

So, below is the final summary of all the 35 goals and how I did against each. 

Basketball (3 of 5 Completed)

1.  Dunk a basketball (Incomplete - Never attempted)
2.  Reverse 2-handed dunk (Incomplete - Never attempted)
Ok, that wasn’t a great start…I’m 0-2!  Probably not a good sign when I never even attempted the first 2 goals on my list this year.  This killed me, but I opted not to find out whether my already bad left knee would explode into a million pieces if I tried to jump.  I guarantee I will dunk again though at some point…


        3.  Make 20 free throws in a row (Completed!)
        Why make 20 free throws in a row when you can make 40 free throws in a row?  I make 7, miss 1, and then rattle off 40 in a row...

       

        4.  Make 10 3s in a row (Completed!)
        No problem…I even throw in an 11th for good measure.

       

        5.  Make ½ court shot (Completed!)
        I’m very upset the first shot didn’t go in but I got the job done on my 5th attempt

       

        Weightlifting: (It’s a clean sweep!  5 out of 5 completed)

        6.  Bench 225 lbs 10 times in a row (Completed!)
        13!  If nothing else, this video proves I should be in the NFL.
       

        7.  70 pushups in a row (Completed!)
        Squeaked by on this one with 71.

       

        8.  25 pullups in a row (Completed!)
        30 pullups!  Not bad…

       

        9.  50 dips in a row (Completed!)
I put up the double nickel…55! 



       10. Jump rope 100 times in 1 minute (Completed!)
       Easily the dumbest of my 35 goals.  I had no idea how easy this one would be.  I did 150 in 1 minute after not touching a jump rope since I was a kid.

         

      Running: (0 for 5 Completed)

      11.  Run ¼ mile in under 1 minute 5 seconds (Incomplete)
      I waited until December 31 to give this a try and went 66 seconds…missing by 1 tiny second. 

   


      12.  Run ½ mile in under 2:30 (Incomplete - Never attempted)
      Why did I never attempt this?  Great freaking question.  I’m an idiot.

      13.  Run mile in under 5:30 (Incomplete)
      Made one attempt in less than ideal conditions on Christmas Day and went 5:43.
     

      14.  Run 5k in under 20 min (Incomplete)
      Despite doing 9 Triathlons throughout the year, I only did one 5k and went 20:38 on a hilly course…good enough for 2nd out of 70 people but 38 seconds shy of my goal.

      15.  Run half marathon in under 8 min per mile (Incomplete - Never attempted)
       Well, technically I did attempt this but it was in a Half Ironman.  I ran at 8:54 pace for the half marathon portion of the race but it was after 3.5 hours of swimming and biking.  I never had the chance to do a stand-alone half marathon as it never fit into my schedule.

      Golf: (3 for 5 Completed)
      
      16.  Shoot round of golf on par 72 course in 75 or under (Incomplete)
      Only played 5 rounds all year but wasn’t even close to shooting under 75

      17.  300 yard drive (Completed!)
      Bombed this 312 yard blast at Austin Country Club on a guy’s golf weekend in November.

      
      18.  Eagle a par 5 (Incomplete)
      I had 3 chances putting for Eagle this year on a par 5 and badly missed all 3 putts.

      19.  Juggle 3 golf balls with hands for 20 seconds (Completed!)
      Not exactly Cirque Du Soleil worthy but it counts…
     

      20.  Juggle golf ball on face of club for 20 seconds (Completed!)
      Just like the old Tiger Woods commercial!

     

      Swimming (4 out of 5 Completed):
      
      21.  50 under 28 seconds (Completed!)
      This was truly a photo finish…I was under 28 by the slimmest of margins…

     

      22.  100 under 1:10 (Completed!)
      No problem with this…1:06

     

      23.  200 under 2:45 (Completed!)
      2:44!  Michael Phelps here I come...

     

      24.  400 under 6 min (Incomplete)
        Maybe the most painful incomplete of them all…6:01…missed by 1 second.

       
      
       25.  Swim 50 yards underwater (Completed!)
        I should be a Navy Seal!

        )

       Triathlons (4 out of 5 Completed)
       
       26.  Compete in at least 6 Triathlons (Completed!)
        I could post all the links on here but I’ll instead post a picture of this awesome blanket Sue had made for me for Christmas.  She collected all my race bibs and put this together…what an awesome way to remember the year.
       
        27.  Finish Top 15% in a Sprint Triathlon (Completed!)
         Finished in the top 12%!  Official results posted in link below.
        28.  Finish top 30% in Olympic Triathlon (Incomplete)
        I only did one Olympic distance race this year and finished top 32%.  Actually, I finished in the top 30% if you go off the official participant list.  I decided though to go off the official race results which showed a few people registered but never raced.  I clearly have way too much integrity…

       29.  Complete Half Ironman in < 6 hours (Completed!)
        5 hours and 23 minutes in my 2nd half Ironman attempt.  Boom!

        

        30.  Complete FULL IRONMAN (Completed!)
        It wasn’t pretty, but I finished Beach2Battleship in October in 13 hours, 51 minutes
        k

        Miscellaneous: (3 out of 5 Completed)

        31.  Climb/hike a mountain > 14,000 feet (Completed!)
        Hiked all day to the top of Mt. Elbert, Colorado’s tallest mountain

       

        32.  Do the splits (Incomplete)
        I was making good progress with this until a November back injury stopped me from continuing to push on the splits.

        33.  Bike 1 mile in less than 2:15 (26.7 mpg avg – Completed!)
        Below is the link with all my mile splits on the bike course during the Finish Strong Half Iron.  If you look toward the bottom of the page (you may have to scroll down), you’ll see my average speed greater than 26.7 mph on splits 15, 20 and 25.


        34.  Bike 15 miles in less than 45 min (20 mph avg – no drafting; Completed!)
        Averaged over 22 mph for 30 miles in my Tri in Muncie, Indiana



        35.  Chug a beer in 3 seconds (Incomplete!)
        I chugged and chugged throughout the year but never got any faster.  3.5 seconds was my best.  I’m still kicking myself for not just making this goal “in 4 seconds” instead.


       There you have it...the official results and videos for Schmeis35for35.  It’s been a great year and pretty crazy to think back on all I tried to do.  

       I didn't get them all done but it was an incredible experience overall.

       Perhaps redemption in the form of Schmeis40for40 will be in my future...

       Schmeis

1 comments:

The Gertsacovs said...

Schmeis -

I have been a silent reader this year, exercising vicariously through you. Now that it is over, a few random thoughts:

-- Overall, really inspiring - not only the athletic feats - but your discipline and dedication to share it, be so transparent, self-effacing, open and honest, great stuff.
-- A "C" in your book amounts to about "A" in any other rational place on earth - you have grade deflation.
-- You can't put a price on learning a life lesson about procrastination, even if it is at the ripe old age of 35 - you will need that lesson when the little guy tries to pull some of your old tricks in a few years.

Anyway, you don't need any other compliments - you know you kick ass - but know you have left some folks inspired, even thousands of miles away.

May 2013 be another inspirational year for you, Sue and Grant.

Cheers from Colombia,

Gertz

Post a Comment