Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Current List of 35

Schmeis 35 for 35

As I mentioned, there are 35 aspirations I’m shooting for in 2012.  The list spans on the short-end from things that will happen in seconds (i.e. dunking a basketball) to things on the long-end that will take several hours (i.e.  Triathlons).  For some of the list, I have the comfort of knowing that I have at one point in my life been able to do these.  The basketball, golf, and weightlifting goals are all something I have done…ok, so maybe not in the last 5-10 years, but at least I actually have done them.  The running, swimming, triathlons, and biking goals I have never done (or even attempted for that matter).  I didn’t do track, cross country, or swimming in high school, and hadn’t been on a bike for more than 10 years until the last few months.  Needless to say, I’m not working with a whole lot here. 
If all goes well throughout 2012, I’m aiming to compete at the Beach 2 Battleship Ironman Triathlon at the end of the year.  For those that don’t know about Ironman Triathlons, they involve a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride, and then a full 26.2 mile marathon run.  Just typing the numbers doesn’t do it justice…it will take longer than 12 hours of non-stop cardio to be able to do this…yes, I’m scared.
Anyway, enough warm up.  Let’s get to the full list.  Below is a draft of the 35 aspirations segmented into 7 categories of 5 items each…hey, what can I say, I like structure and symmetry.   


Basketball:
1.         Dunk a basketball
2.         Reverse 2-handed dunk
3.         Make 20 free throws in a row
4.         Make 10 3s in a row
5.         Make ½ court shot

Weightlifting:
6.         Bench 225 lbs 10 times in a row
7.         70 pushups in a row
8.         25 pullups in a row
9.         50 dips in a row
10.     Jump rope 100 times in 1 minute

Running:
11.     Run ¼ mile in under 1 minute 5 seconds
12.     Run ½ mile in under 2:30
13.     Run mile in under 5:30
14.     Run 5k in under 20 min
15.     Run half marathon in under 8 min per mile

Golf:
16.     Shoot round of golf on par 72 course in 75 or under
17.     300 yard drive (big downhill or huge tailwind don’t count)
18.     Eagle a par 5
19.     Juggle 3 golf balls with hands for 20 seconds
20.     Juggle golf ball on face of club for 20 seconds

Swimming (all starting in the pool – no dive starts):
21.     50 under 28 seconds
22.     100 under 1:10
23.     200 under 2:45
24.     400 under 6 min
25.     Swim 50 yards underwater

Triathlons
26.     Compete in at least 6 Triathlons
27.     Finish top 15% in a Sprint Triathlon (~500 meter swim, 15 mile bike, 3.1 mile run)
28.     Finish top 30% in Olympic Triathlon (~1500meter swim, 25 mile bike, 6 mile run)
29.     Complete Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) in < 6 hours
30.     Complete FULL IRONMAN (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile full marathon)

Miscellaneous:
31.     Climb/hike a mountain > 14,000 feet
32.     Do the splits
33.     Bike 1 mile in less than 2:15 (26.7 mpg avg)
34.     Bike 15 miles in less than 45 min (20 mph avg – no drafting)
35.     Chug a beer in 3 seconds (yes, I will still be drinking during 2012…)

There you have it… The Schmeis 35 for 35!  Again, I’m starting the quest on January 1, 2012 (well, maybe January 2 given all the bowl games that will be on New Year’s Day and the fact I’ll be hungover from the night before, but you get the point).  Let me know your thoughts! 

8 comments:

elliottrodgers said...

Dude...I was inspired just reading through the list. I am committing today to do one of the triathalons with you (anyone except for the full ironman...that's aggressive) so post the dates when you register. Good luck!

Schmeis said...

That's great...would love some company for a race. I'm figuring out my schedule for next year over the next few weeks so will definitely post it once it's close to finalized.

Rissa said...

Michael...I mean Schmeis....
This is absolutely hilarious (and aggressive)!!! I'm looking forward to the videos, posts, etc.
Also, can you make sure to record the 5 mins following you chugging the bear?? That could be interesting....
Best of luck!!!
Rissa

John Lee said...

Good luck, i would add some bonus items like do a back flip, or type of gymnastic

Schmeis said...

Rissa and John,

Thanks for the comments. Rissa, I'll absolutely video what happens after the beer chug. John, great idea on the back flip. Someone else suggested a back handspring. Given I can't even do a cartwheel I'm not terribly optimistic on those!

Grant Terrell said...

Michael - after a few weeks to digest this blog, let the grading begin...

List of 35 = B-

Let me start by saying, conceptually I love everything about 35 for 35. I'm evaluating as a pure, selfish consumer of the blog.

The list seems way too focused on running/swimming/cross training events. I have a little experience with the distance running, and to say the least it sucks. It burns way too much time training, it's boring to train for, and even more boring to watch as a consumer. While I have the utmost respect for marathon guy, it's just not that electric. I mean, when was the last time you saw a Sports Center top 10 highlight in one of those sports specialties? Please keep in mind, I consider the Chicago Marathon in the top 5 athletic events I've witnessed.

By altering a few of these items we accomplish a few things:

1. More excitement experience for the blog consumer.
2. A more realistic completion of events. (no offense – from a time perspective)
3. A more enjoyable experience for you in this journey.

Ultimately I would like to see the Running, Swimming, Triathlons compressed into 1, maybe 2 categories.

A few suggestions:

I would like to see you goals be timed/coordinated with main stream athletic events.... i.e. NFL combine, etc. This means we must add a 40 yard dash, vertical leap, I would like to see how far you can throw a football, and you already have the 225lbs bench press. This will help me compare your achievements to Andrew Luck, and will keep me way more entertained.

Baseball - the fact that no throwing or hitting skills are included in your list of 35 is embarrassing. I don’t care if you never played the sport in high school. I cannot respect anyone if they can't throw a baseball around the 70mph mark. So eliminate one of your cross training events and hit the cedar point carnival section for a day. Also, how does hitting a home run not make this list? I’d recommend a goal of at least going yard over a 325 fence mark.

I’ve already distributed your blog to my entire family, so we are committed.

With this, I yield back the remainder of my time.

-Grant

Schmeis said...

Grant,

Amazing comments. You make a lot of good points. I think I'm going to leave my 35 I currently have but throw in a lot of your suggestions as extra credit assignments throughout the year. You're completely right, that I need to work these in but I really didn't want to give any up. I promise I'll give some of your ideas a go though. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

I think a bigger challenge for #35 would be beating me in a chugg off.

Post a Comment