Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Beginning: Schmeis 35 for 35


I turn 35 in 2012…July 25th for those scoring at home.  I got married 2 years ago, moved from city life in New York to suburban life in North Carolina, started thinking about kids, bought a house, began mowing the yard on Saturdays, and now seem to wake up each morning with more aches and pains than the day before.  In short, I’m getting old. 
Now, I know what most of you are thinking… “He’s crazy…he’s not getting old.  He’s still ridiculously good looking.”  You’re absolutely correct and you make a very valid point.  I’m more concerned, however, about getting old from an athletic standpoint.  Since you insist on talking about it, let’s go back to my high school and college years for some perspective.  I used to be able to hammer a 360 two-handed dunk, I had the high school bench press record for my weight class, and I shot several competitive rounds of golf near even par. 
Fast forward to today and I would probably simultaneously pull my quads, hamstrings, and calves if I tried to touch the rim, my shoulders would likely pop out of socket if I tried to bench more than 185, and I’d be lucky to find a fairway or a green if I made it to the golf course.  My glory days athletically would seem to be well behind me -- but are they?  This self-proclaimed athletic freak isn’t giving up so easily. 
Enter the idea for “The Schmeis 35 for 35.”  I got the idea in an attempt to overcome my athletic midlife crisis.  “35 for 35” refers to 35 athletic aspirations that I will be checking off (hopefully) throughout 2012 leading up to and following my 35th birthday.  My quest will officially last for 1 calendar year:  starting on Jan.1, 2012 and lasting until Dec.31, 2012.  Over the last part of 2011 during the holidays, I will finalize my list of 35 athletic aspirations (hopefully with your help) and start blogging about my training, successes, failures, and other random topics related to my workouts on my journey to checking off as many of the 35 as possible. 

The Proof
How will you be sure that I completed a given aspiration?  Great question…thanks for asking.  There are only 3 forms of proof that will be considered valid for the purpose of establishing whether or not I have reached a given aspiration:
1.              Video evidence
2.              Official race results posted on internet from an event of some kind (i.e. triathlon, running race, etc.)
3.              A witness (this is the weakest but necessary for some of the 35)
Before telling you the 35 aspirations that make up the list, let me tease you a little.  The list is somewhere between ridiculously awesome and really f*ing stupid, but it’s a first draft.  Keep in mind, I have no running, swimming, biking, or Triathlon background so if you think the times are slow feel free to tune into the Summer Olympics in London...I’m sure you’ll find some fast times there.  That being said, any suggestions you have on my list would be very welcome.  Remember, I need actual proof so I can’t just say I completed a task…I have to actually have it on video, have official results, or have a witness.  The more I think about this, the more I realize it is going to be pretty much impossible.  Sweet.

Scoring Methodology
I need a scoring methodology to know at the end of the year how I did.  Here are the grades I would give myself at the end of 2012 based on the number of aspirations on the list I was able to achieve (this will mean more when you see the list):
-          < 15 out of 35 aspirations completed = F
-          15-18 = D
-          19-23 = C
-          24-26 = B
-          27-29 =  A
-          30 or higher =  Greek God
Vegas has the over/under at 21 (hence the C grade). 
So, there you have it…I'm spending 2012 doing a 100% completely unnecessary meathead competition against myself.   That last sentence was awesome; let’s read that again…I'm spending 2012 doing a 100% completely unnecessary meathead competition against myself.  I love it. 
I’m going to try to blog ~1-2 times per week about my progress and will post links, videos, etc. as they happen throughout 2012.  I know the only way I’ll make a good run at this is if I’ve put it out to the world that I’m doing it.  I need all your comments like “you’re such a pussy,” “does your mom want to play too?,” etc. as motivation for making this happen so feel free to let me have it.  I’d write more but I need to go start dominating.  See you at the finish line.

6 comments:

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Well congrats on putting this out there and going for a truly amazing goal. I will be there at the finish line and will be cheering you on every step of the way! I will also be there when it hurts bad, is dark and cold out, and when that tv and beer come calling!

Gog said...

Nice (as Gman Misra would say), very nicely. Where is the list so I can start commenting now! This is very motivating - not for me, but for me to train my son - he needs to get going on his professional sports career so I can manage his money and retire. He is already 6 so time is ticking. Ha, seriously - good stuff - make sure I get an alert or better - tweet everytime you attempt 1 of the 35 so we can follow and post commentary. Suerte, old man. I love the idea. Here's an idea - could be cool to have participation from buddies to "match" any of the 35 with reward or penalty if they achieve any of goals (with proof) and you do not - clearly only people older than 35,etc. - could be cool and could go viral given I would imagine many of us on list are going through a similar athletic mid-life crisis :)!

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

You're hysterical! I think this is a GREAT idea. So many guys your age just let themselves go. See you in a few days and will smack you if I catch you eating chocolate Santas.

xo

Sandy

Sue said...

No chance of Michael eating chocolate anything...leave that to the Lees

Katharine said...

I'm boycotting your blog until you repost whatever Sam posted.

Post a Comment